We were one such offender, and in the past week our new house number installation has been born. When the brickies started work out the back they built a small 'test wall' to see how the three blended brick varieties would look. Chucking the mini-wall in the skip seemed sinful and wasteful, so we decided to turn it into a feature wall out the front for some new house numbers.
Here is the wall. The jury is still out as to whether it works aesthetically in front of our wood and wire fencing, but it's recycling so who cares. The letterbox sourced from the tip is enjoying the company anyhow.
I found these metal numbers which are made in India, perfect. The trouble was, as they were hollow, affixing them to the wall posed a bit of challenge.
Husband had bright idea of filling them with expanding foam. Whoah there, enough expanding already!
Here is the finished product. Cost not a lot, but looks pretty darn groovy in my opinion. Now people can at least find number 38 and work backwards.