29.10.13

Ground Zero

Demolition is now complete. The guy is in with his bobcat today to clear away the final debris of our house's rear.   The lavvy was the only thing left by the time he arrived this morning.  As you can imagine, there has been lots of great photo opportunities with the below, which I won't share.

I've been sifting through the soil which was underneath the stumps, the builder thinks I'm mad.  There are lots of little fragments of packaging and other ephemera which are like clues and DNA to the past life of this house and its inhabitants. 

 
I've also been taking photos from this vantage point below nearly every day.  My plan is to do a time lapse series of the old coming down and the new going up.  Given the drip-drip approach to our building budget, that is going to be one hell of a file, if I take one every day.


You can see the old kitchen wall, which would have been original to the house, whereas the section to the right which housed a dining area and bathroom were added in the 50s.  When we were pulling it apart we found a load of newspaper rolled up to fill gaps from 1957.  More on that later.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a project you've taken on! I'm looking forward to following the prosess! Oh yes, I can easily imagine the photo opportunities with that old toilet out there in the open:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I love to rip apart and start again...to do it to a house that will also be a home would be a dream come true for me.....!!! go go go....
    bestest luck from daisy j x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you answered my question in the next post.The time lapse idea sounds a corker. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Love getting comments from blogland...